A little about me
I am a lawyer, nationally accredited mediator, educator, research and writer. I am also a self-confessed succession nerd, having practised almost exclusively in wills and estates since my admission to legal practice.
I am Special Counsel with the wonderful team at Vitality Law Australia where I work to inspire families to make informed decisions about their life and legacy with wills and estate planning offerings. I previously ran my own practice as a director of Inspire Estate Law & Mediation before making a decision in July 2022 to join the wonderful VLA team after consulting for them for a time.
I am a full member of the Queensland Law Society, the Founding of the Logan & Scenic Rim Law Association Inc and creator & owner of the Australian Succession & Elder Lawyers Community that boasts over 1,500 members of the profession across the country. I am also a full member of the Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners (STEP) and write, edit and contribute to legal profession publications covering succession and elder law topics for the benefit of other lawyers education and development, including Wolters Kluwer (CCH).
In 2021, I also became one of only 60 lawyers in Australia that are collaboratively trained in estates law and became a member of the Queensland Association of Collaborative Professionals. In 2021, I was elected by my peers as councillor-elect for the 2022/2023 team of the Queensland Law Society Executive Council.
I received a Masters in Law (Applied Law), majoring in Wills & Estates and now teach other lawyers as an Adjunct Lecturer for the College of Law in the very same post-graduate specialisation Masters program.
In 2021, I was also appointed as the Practice Area Leader for Wills & Estates and Estate Planning Masters Programs for the College of Law. As you can tell, I am a bit advocate and passionate supporter of quality legal education for the profession!
In 2021, I founded a unique online legal community devoted to mentoring and up-skilling, particularly for law students, graduates, new lawyers and lawyers looking to re-engage with their practice. This community is called Hello Law.
I am regularly invited to speak at community and professional organisations and conferences on a range of topics in the succession and elder law world. You can find a list of my speaking engagements here. I also write about passion, perseverance and positivity in law as a regular columnist in the Queensland Law Society’s Proctor publication devoted to wellness in law.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) (succession law), Australian Centre for Health Law Research, QUT, Current
- Nationally Accredited Mediator, College of Law
- Collaborative Practice for Wills & Estates training
- Masters of Laws (Applied Law), majoring in Wills & Estates, College of Law
- Admitted to High Court of Australia
- Practice Management Course, Queensland Law Society
- Admitted to Supreme Court of Queensland
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice, College of Law
- Bachelor of Laws, QUT
Some of my proudest moments
There are so many things I’m proud of in my work and every now and there is a situation that will take my breath away and make me feel incredibly humbled and grateful. In addition to those of my unforgettable clients, including those now at rest, here are few things that have had an impact on me, in some way or another:
- 2022 becoming a nationally accredited mediation training for wills and estates practitioners through the College of Law.
- 2021 being nominated for the Lawyers Weekly Women in Law Awards for Academic of the Year, Wellness Advocate of the Year and Mentor of the Year.
- 2021 being appointed the Practice Area Leader for Wills & Estates and Estate Planning for the post-graduate specialisation courses at College of Law.
- 2021 being listed on the Women Lawyers Association of Queensland 2021 Inspo List as an legal academic who has inspired others.
- 2020 being welcomed as a regular columnist for the Queensland Law Society’s Proctor Online where I republish my thoughts on Wellbeing for the legal profession.
- 2020 being nominated as a Finalist, Proctor – Best Feature Article Award, 2020 Queensland Law Society Awards for “New Principles for Decision-Makers” piece published in the May 2019 QLS Proctor, Volume 39, Issue 4.
- 2020 being offered a ACHLR Faculty of Law Scholarship to undertake my PhD in succession and elder law.
- 2019 being appointed an Adjunct Lecturer for The College of Law Queensland.
- 2019 being commissioned as a contributing author to CCH/Wolters Kluwer “NSW Wills In Practice” legal commentary service.
- 2018 to present, Having some of my blog posts re-published in Legalwise News periodically for current topics and trends.
- 2019 Proctor publishing my piece called “New Principles for Decision-Makers” in the May 2019 QLS Proctor, Volume 39, Issue 4.
- 2016 founding and launching the Logan & Scenic Rim Law Association Inc.
- 2015 being honoured with a Fellowship with the College of Law upon completing my Masters.
- 2015 having this blog feature on a “Best law blogs in Australia” list.
- 2014 being nominated for the Emergent Woman Lawyer of the Year Award, Women Lawyers of Queensland (WLAQ) Annual Awards.
- 2012 starting the Australian Succession & Elder Lawyers LinkedIn Group and watching it grow to over 1,500 members across the country!
- 2012 starting my blog here on this site and watching it grow!
There are many things I am passionate about; at the top of that list are things like my family, succession and elder law, education, conflict resolution, professional and personal development, mentorship, mental wellness within the legal profession, women in the law and working parents.
I am a passionate succession lawyer and mediator. I embarked on my career for one reason; to help people. I stay here, advising, writing, resolving disputes and researching the law, for the same reason, and I have found a true love in succession and elder law. My ethos in my law world is clarity and kindness.
At home, I am “mummy” to two amazing, compassionate and crazy little dudes. I am also “wifey” to an incredibly kind, talented, and sweet husband and whenever the opportunity presents itself, we’re off camping in one of our favourite camping grounds. True to our love for the country, in 2022, my family and I relocated to the Heart of the Central Highlands; Emerald, Central Queensland.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The views, comments or observations I present in this website and blog are my own. The content through this website are general information and not legal advice. You should ALWAYS seek your own legal advice specific to your situation. No exceptions. If you would like to engage me for legal advice, please make contact with me through my firm, Inspire Estate Law & Mediation.
For the researcher and academics:
An investment in knowledge pays the best interestBenjamin Franklin