Although the law is there to be used for this purpose, it’s not a very common occurrence that a Will be made for a minor child. However, this case came up on recently and I found it a great read.
- A 16 year old girl wants to make a Will
- Her father is not in the picture
- She has been and is cared for her by her grandparents after the death of her mother when she was just a baby
- She had an estate to dispose of
- The Court approved a Will be made for her to gift a pecuniary legacy to her father and the residual among her grandparents equally.
For the full case, read it here: Matter of J, LC  SASC 20.